Science and the Environment
Complete and check each item. When done, take a screenshot that includes your NAME and OVERALL score. Do over until you are satisfied with your score.
Choose the correct response by selecting the appropriate button.
A student who regularly fishes at a local lake notices that this year he rarely sees a type of bird he used to see in large numbers at the lake. Which of the following actions is a student who thinks like an environmental scientist likely to take first?
- analyzing how humans have affected the condition of the lake and thinking about the possible impact of those actions on the bird species in the area
- analyzing weather patterns and changes in the geography of the area over the past few years to see how those patterns might have affected the water quality of the lake
- determining the name of the bird species and studying the bird species' behavior to learn its habitat needs and feeding patterns
- looking at the condition of the water plants in the area to see if they are diseased or are overpopulating the area
Ecology is the study of
- plants and animals.
- environmental science.
- interactions between organisms and their environment.
- energy flow in ecosystems.
Which of the following is not a way that hunter-gatherers historically influenced the environment?
- by clearing growths of trees with fire
- by overhunting
- by gathering in groups to live permanently in a small area
- by spreading plants to new areas
The Tigris-Euphrates River basin collapsed, in part because the overworked soil became waterlogged and contaminated by salts. Which of the following influenced that collapse?
- the agricultural revolution
- the Industrial Revolution
- the information revolution
Which of the following statements BEST describes why the Earth is sometimes compared to a spaceship?
- The Earth is a closed system floating in the vastness of space.
- Environmental problems on Earth affect the entire universe.
- Humans can control natural forces beyond the Earth's atmosphere.
- Only a limited number of people can live on Earth just as only a limited number of people can fit inside a spaceship.
If the human population continues to grow, all of the following could happen EXCEPT increased
- resource depletion.
- human starvation.
Which of the following resources is a renewable resource?
- fresh water
- natural gas
Which of the following is a renewable resource that is in danger of being used up faster than it can replace itself?
- tropical rain forests
- all of these
Farms are to hunting and gathering as
- cars are to planes
- anchors are to ships
- fish hatcheries are to fishing
- DVDs are to video tapes